Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A different sort of gardening...

I am embarking on a new adventure...The "Ruth Stout" method of gardening. Basically it involves using straw to enrich your soil, make compost, and kill weeds, and more. I got two bales of straw yesterday from a local farm, and I'll have 20 more being delivered within the next week or so. I am getting my 20 bales from Quinn Farm in Ile Perrot. Elwood Quinn is such a nice guy...very friendly, and has a wonderful sense of humor.

I've got to move my compost container to a more accessible spot...now, if I can just get a hold of one of my male neighbours to help me, since it has to be lifted over the pool pump in order to get it where it needs to go...can't do it on my own (I tried).

Okay, back to the straw. So basically, you get a bunch of straw bales, and just set them up along the edges of your garden (kind of like a retaining wall). Now, 22 bales sounds like a lot of straw, but this will do for 2-3 years. The bales sit outside, and yes, they will start to decompose, but that's the beauty of all this. You cover the ground (or garden patch) with a layer of straw, and through the season of your garden, you just keep layering as the need arises. Weeds? No problem...don't break your back trying to pull them out...just throw some straw on top of them to take care of that problem.

I'm very excited to try this.

No comments: