Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pumpkins...

I have decided that the pumpkin is a very mysterious plant to grow. Three years ago, we planted pumpkin seeds, just to have the joy of growing our own pumpkins for Samhain. Well, of course, the pumpkin vines took over the whole garden, and I'm pretty sure we had miles and miles worth of pumpkin vines. We had quite a few good pumpkins that year, and gave a few away too.

Well, this year, we had a pumpkin vine sprout up seemingly out of nowhere, as we didn't plant any pumpkin at all this year (don't have enough space in our garden area). Now, what I find amazingly mystical is that the vine started sprouting flowers, and I'd keep checking them for signs of pumpkins starting, to no avail. Then, as if overnight, I have a huge green pumpkin in my garden. How did I miss that???? Well, at this point, it's still greenish, but with an orange tinge starting...figure it will be just perfect for Samhain...but I've still got at least 20 flowers, no sign of any other pumpkins yet, and I'm wondering if these will sprout up just as "mysteriously?"

Anyway, that's just my ramblings for the day...LOL

No comments: