Monday, March 08, 2010

Beautiful Spring!!!

The beautiful weather we've been having lately is so encouraging. I am pretty sure that Spring is here to stay because the floorboards in my house are usually more reliable at predicting Spring than any groundhog! What happens is that every year as Spring arrives, the gaps between the floorboards widen slightly. We noticed last week that this had started to happen, and last year it didn't start until early April. YAY!!!

The snow is melting quickly, so it will soon be time to begin the process of cleaning up our yard. Having a 15,000 sq.ft. property with about 20 trees (and most of them are oak trees), we have a lot of work ahead of us because of fallen branches, acorns, and leaves that fell too late last year. Once that is done, then I can start garden projects... and planting!

Morning Glories of assorted colors are a MUST for my flowerbeds in the front yard, and since I used up the last of my seeds last year, I put them on my shopping list to make sure I wouldn't forget. Little did I know, my husband read my list when I wasn't looking, and my sweetheart went out on Saturday and bought the Morning Glory seeds for me (he knows just how much I love them). Now that I have the seeds, my next challenge will be to have something for the vines to climb. In the past I would simply buy a type of plastic netting that we'd staple to the roof, but I want to go with an environmentally friendly option this year and so I will attempt to build some sort of trellis from the fallen branches we pick up from the yard. Gilles thinks it's a dumb idea... he thinks it will be ugly and when I told him I would need the branches, he actually had the nerve to try and tell me I couldn't do it in the front yard. I told him "since I am the one who plans and plants the flower beds I will do as I damned well please. Anyway, I wasn't asking your permission; I was informing you of what I am going to do, so don't throw out the friggin' branches!" Argh... Men!

No comments: