Tuesday, May 22, 2012

2012 Garden

What a gorgeous long weekend we had.  The weather was absolutely beautiful, and it was time to get the vegetable garden and the herb garden planted.  I keep it really simple for now, although eventually I would like to do more.  So in terms of vegetables, I will have a TON of tomatoes... we eat them like mad around here, especially in the summer when we can get them fresh.  I will have tomatoes GALORE!  If I find I am drowning in tomatoes when they ripen, I may just have to sell some!  I also decided to try out planting some leeks this year, although I am concerned they may not quite make it due to a *ahem* "mishap" with the lawnmower.  Although since the roots of the leeks are still fully intact after said mishap, I am hoping they will still pull through :D  The picture below shows a portion of the vegetable garden... after this picture was taken, I also added some eggplants, and will also be planting lettuce once I buy the seeds.


My herb garden is mostly planted in a very large container.  This year I have garlic chives, estragon (sorry, don't know the English term so it's the French name), standard basil, dwarf basil, creeping thyme, curled parsley, coriander, sage, and I'm trying to grow some garlic too.  

I also am attempting to grow lavender again this year.  I used to have a gorgeous, HUGE lavender plant in my back yard that also fell victim to... yes... a lawnmower "mishap"... totally not my fault!  since then, I have had the worst luck with lavender, but that was trying to grow it in a container in the house... just can't seem to do it. so this year I bought 3 lavender plants and will plant them in 3 different places on my property.  Hopefully they will all do well... I will be happy if at least 1 of them survives.

No comments: