Sunday, September 09, 2012

The Greatest of Gifts

One of my homework assignments for my course is to prepare an oral presentation about why I chose this career path... I will be presenting this in front of my class on Wednesday.  When I finished writing it, I had the Man read through it before translating it for feedback as to whether it's any good.  Unfortunately he couldn't speak after reading it because it moved him to tears (which is a very rare occurrence).  And so I decided to share it here as well.

The Greatest of Gifts
"Since I have almost no past experience with horses, I have decided to speak to you more about why I decided to take this course.  In order to be able to better understand why I’m here, you first need to understand a little bit about the proverbial road that brought me to this path.  So let me paint a picture for your mind.

Now I would like you all to imagine a woman who’s eyes are full of sadness and pain.  Lost in a haze of medications that the doctors said she would have to take for the rest of her life; her brain had become her number one enemy and her body was quickly following suit.  A mere shadow of the woman she once was… a mere shadow of the woman who stands before you today.  I was merely existing, and rapidly losing the will to live until a simple day out with good friends helped to completely start turning things around.



This is Leya, and this first day spent with her involved a little bit of riding, but also just spending time with Leya, brushing her, being near her.  It was a wonderful experience, but it is the long-term after-effects, of my time spent with her, that is truly amazing.  In the weeks and months that followed, my thought processes started to clear.  I was finally able to get off the medications that had clouded my mind for far to many years.  My energy levels increased slowly, I struggled less and less with depression, and I finally started to lose weight (slowly and steadily), and I rediscovered my joie-de-vivre.  You may wonder what mental illness has to do with horses… well, in my case it has EVERYTHING to do with my choice to be here.  I truly believe that Leya helped to save my life.


I had always dreamed of working with horses, but never thought that it could become a reality.  About a week after my visit with Leya, we found the ad in the local paper for this course with the centre des moissons, and I just knew that I had to find out more.  I attended the information session in the Fall of 2011, and although I needed extra time before registering, I knew it was something I was meant to do. 

Now the doors are wide open, and there are so many possibilities available to me once I complete this course.  I have an idea of where I want to go, but it’s too early for anything concrete… I must leave my options open.  One thing I am 100% certain of, though, is that I hope to have the opportunity in the future to work with horses in a way that can help other people suffering from mental illness, mood disorders, learning disorders, etc.  I am a living example of the therapeutic effect that horses have on humans, and I want to be able to share that gift with others. 

Horses have given me a greater gift than I could ever have hoped for.  They have given me back my fire, my passion for life.  So it is only natural that I now move forward and invest my passion in giving back to them; to enrich their lives as they have enriched mine!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, I'm starting to cry. I guess we'll have to arrange for you to come out and see the horses again soon.

WitchHazel said...

tee hee... absolutely!!! and the horses will be arriving at Pont Chateau at the end of the month.. stable rotations start in October... WOOT can't wait